The congregation has history more than a century old. The first records of the Sharon Methodist Church were written in the 1850’s when services were held in a small church about half a mile north of Sharon. In 1867, the church purchased land in Sharon on Leslie Street. The Sharon Methodists were part of the Holland Landing charge and later the Mount Albert charge before joining with Queensville in 1883. In 1885 the Hope Church joined with Sharon and Queensville Methodist to form a three point charge. The churches joined the church union in 1925 to become part of The United Church of Canada. This 3 point charge continued until 1954. At that time Hope Church amalgamated with the Sharon Church. The congregation continued to grow and the church building became overcrowded. In 1982 it was decided to work toward the establishment of a new building on 2.16 acres south of the church on Leslie Street. Based on the history of the area, an architectural design was selected to reflect the Quaker heritage of the Children of Peace. We are proud of the similarities between our building and the Sharon Temple. On December 6, 1987 the Sharon-Hope congregation met in great celebration for the dedicating and opening of their new home, an attractive, modern, and fully accessible facility.
As the congregations of both Queensville and Sharon-Hope continued to grow throughout the 1990’s, the decision was made to become single point charges. In 2006, Sharon-Hope hired its first full time Minister. The year 2017 marks the 150th anniversary of Sharon-Hope United Church! If you are looking for a faith community, come join us as we journey together in faith.
History of Sharon-Hope United Church starting in 1805
1866 Sharon joins the Mount Albert circuit
List of Ministers who have served Sharon-Hope
Sources – United Church of Canada Archives, Annual General Meeting Reports
– complied by Keith Carson